Monday, October 5, 2015

Hello!

Hello!

My name is Aaron Glasserman. I'm 24. I was born and raised in New York City. I'm currently a PhD in the History Department at Columbia University. I'm in my first year. I just started in September.

My research focuses on Islam in late Imperial and Republican China. A lot of important scholarship on this subject is written in Japanese, so that's a big reason why I'm studying the language. I'm also generally interested in foreign languages and enjoy studying them very much. I have studied Spanish, Chinese, Arabic, and some Persian (just one year), and I just started Turkish as well.

So far, I have found reading quickly to be the hardest part of learning Japanese. If I read slowly I can understand the hiragana, but often I try to read too quickly or accidentally skip a word. So far the grammar has not been too difficult, but I think it will get much harder soon.

Greetings from Columbia,
Aaron

1 comment:

  1. I have always admired multilingual people and I hope that I can be a person of such kind. For historians, this is especially important.

    ReplyDelete